Students Kick-Off Green Week
While Earth Day may not be until Sunday April 22nd, USC Earth Week is set to kick off a string of events beginning Monday, April 16th with a campus wide clothing drive and lunch forum on sustainability.
This week of events is focused on allowing, "people who wouldn't otherwise be thinking about these issues to realize they exist and to maybe change something in their lives, says student Nin Gordon-Kirsch.
The program sponsored by the Office of Sustainability is aimed at raising environmental awareness on campus.
The clothing drive is asking students to swap old t-shirts, pants, and formal gowns at the Ronald Tutor Campus Center from 12 to 4pm.
Organizers of the clothing swap hoped to educate participants about the free, environmentally friendly clothing.
Angelie Agrawal has helped collect over 200 pieces of clothing in today's clothing swap. "Instead of just throwing away your clothes that you don't use anymore, maybe someone else in the community would like to have them," Agrawal.
USC will also be hosting "One World Cafe" forum to shed light over topics of sustainability and the ability to enact green change.
Sydney Morical, who came up with the idea for the cafe, says she "wanted to create something that would let people feel empowered as individuals to create change in the spheres they are capable of impacting."
Over a light, socially-conscious lunch, student leaders were be able to speak up about sustainable workplaces, ecoliteracy, green public policy, and other green topics.
USC is also doing its part to be eco-friendly. Many of our buildings here on campus are equipped with leading energy and environmental design rating systems.
Hopefully, the future of our campus and our environment will continue to grow in a positive way. USC's Green Week is taking a great step towards sending out the message that college students can make a difference to our environment.
More Green Week events continue in the coming days.
Tuesday, April 17:
- FloweRecycling– Bring home a potted flower recycled from USC’s campus from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the USC Urban Garden
- DIY Reusable Grocery Bag - Bring an old T-shirt to re-purpose into a reusable grocery bag from 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. in TCC 227
- Sustainability and Religion Forum from 6:00 p.m. -8:00 p.m. in URC 103
Wednesday, April 18:
- Global Climate Politics and Radical Activism from 12:30 p.m. - 1:50 p.m. in TCC 227
- Yoga in the Park with Camille Dieterle from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in the Fisher Museum Courtyard
- Garbage to Gold- A panel discussion about developing a more sustainable society from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in MRF102
Thursday, April 19:
- Campus Bike Plan Update at 1:00 p.m. at Tommy’s Place
- Environmental and Socially Conscious Food Fair from 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. behind the United University Church Peace Center
- Bag It! Film Screening and Guest speaker from 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in TCC 450
- Green: The Film – A movie about the destruction of the rain forest from the eyes of an orangutan from 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. in TCC 302
Friday, April 20:
- Spring Planting in the Garden from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in the USC Urban Garden
- Energy Conservation Workshop from 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. in TCC 350/351/352